In this survey review, we’ll take a look at Tellwut. This is a paid panel site that enables respondents to answer online surveys in exchange for incentives, such as PayPal and gift cards. Claiming to have millions of registered members, Tellwut is much-advertised in the online survey space. But does it live up to the hype? In this review, we’ll take a closer look at Tellwut’s rewards program, redemption options and overall user experience to help you decide if it’s worth your time.
Andrew: Andrew is one of our reviewers who’s been with HuginX the longest. With a background in membership support at one of the largest survey companies, Andrew has a lot of inside knowledge of the Market Research industry and has helped us refine our reviewing criteria. When Andrew is not working with reviews, he likes to go hiking with his dog Charlie.
Is Tellwut a legit survey company?
Yes, Tellwut can be considered a legitimate survey site. It has been in operation since 2009 and has a seemingly good reputation among users. Tellwut’s owner is a member of the Insights Association, which is a professional organization for market research companies. This should mean that Tellwut is committed to conducting high-quality research and protecting the privacy of its users.
At the same time, the compensation for taking surveys is low. It will take a long time to accumulate enough points to redeem, and you might be asked to provide a valid ID to prove your address and identity before getting access to your hard-earned money.
What about data protection – is my sensitive data safe?
Just like other panel providers, Tellwut will monetize and share your survey data anonymously in order to deliver valuable research to its clients for market research purposes. These clients may use this data to develop and improve products, for example, to track the brand awareness of a consumer brand such as Siemens.
While Tellwut appears to take user privacy seriously and aims to comply with data protection laws, there are some areas where the site could improve.
You’ll remain anonymous when taking surveys, but the site still collects some personal data from users, such as date of birth and email addresses. Although Tellwut claims that it does not sell or rent users’ personal information to third parties, it’s not entirely clear how the site uses this data or who has access to it.
While Tellwut does have some measures in place to protect user privacy and comply with data protection laws, there is still room for improvement in terms of transparency and user control over their personal data.
In order to avoid account suspension, it’s important to make sure your Tellwut profile lines up with your real-world credentials. When redeeming your rewards you might be asked to provide a valid ID, so make sure to provide accurate profile information when you sign up.
How much can I make taking surveys with Tellwut?
As you may have seen in various ads online, survey companies like Tellwut are often marketed as a means to make a significant amount of money each week. However, after conducting a comprehensive review of over 500 paid gigs worldwide, our team at Huginx has yet to come across a single consumer panel that could replace a full-time job.
Our team tested Tellwut and found that users could expect to earn an average of around $0.20 per survey, or 80 points (1 point equals to $0.0025). And here’s the catch; even if the minimum redemption threshold of $10 might not seem too much, you’ll need to complete close to 40 surveys to get a chance of redeeming. This equals more than 6 hours of survey-taking for $10…
It’s important to keep in mind that taking surveys with Tellwut should not be viewed as a substitute for a full-time job or a reliable source of income.
Here are some additional tips for getting the most out of Tellwut:
- Complete surveys as quickly as possible: The faster you complete a survey after it is launched, the higher likelihood you’ll qualify
- Take advantage of the referral program: Tellwut offers a referral program that allows you to earn money when your friends sign up and complete surveys.
- Be patient: It takes time to earn a significant amount of money from Tellwut. Don’t expect to get rich quickly.
What about the survey experience?
While Tellwut does offer users the opportunity to take surveys and earn rewards, there are some potential drawbacks that users should be aware of.
As with many other survey sites, Tellwut requires users to complete a set of qualifying questions before they can access the real surveys. These questions, known as screenout questions, do not provide any compensation unless the user is accepted into the survey. In Huginx’s testing, we found that we only qualified for approximately 1 out of 8 surveys, which is below average compared to similar survey sites.
Also, keep in mind that most of the surveys on Tellwut’s platform are from 3rd party market research companies. This means you’ll frequently need to submit your profiling information to new companies, which can be experienced as repetitive and a waste of time. Examples of 3rd party survey providers offered on Tellwut include SpectrumSurveys (PureSpectrum) and YourSurveys (Cint).
On the positive side, the interface is generally user-friendly, with a clear and intuitive layout that makes it easy to navigate through the site. Users are also able to access the site via their mobile devices, which is a critical feature in today’s mobile-driven world.
Additionally, Tellwut has a reward system that is relatively transparent, with clear information provided on how users can earn rewards and how these rewards can be redeemed. The site also has a steady flow of available surveys for users to complete, with notifications provided when new surveys become available.
Top Rated Panels
- Transparent payment system
- Low redemption level
- High incentives compared to regular consumer survey sites
- Good selection of payment options
- Interesting survey opportunities
- High qualification rate
- Simple user interface
- Surveys are not always mobile-friendly
- Complex questions which can take a lot of concentration and time to fill out
- High quality survey experience
- Interesting surveys on trending topics
- You always qualify for surveys (once signed up)
- Well paid survey opportunities
- Tablet and free internet service offered to households without internet access
- Not possible to sign up without a special invitation
- Not too many survey opportunities (2-5 per month)
- Free to join
- Earn referral commissions
- Fair incentive level
- Good survey experience
- Professional MR company
- There is no signup bonus
- The minimum payout threshold is high
- PayPal and bank redemptions can take up to 30 working days to process
- Owned by one of the largest market research companies
- Above average payout per survey
- A low threshold to redeem rewards
- Easy to qualify for surveys
- Low volume of survey opportunities
- Technical glitches using the Pinecone Research app
- No payout threshold
- Gives loyalty credit if you do not qualify for a survey
- Above-average incentive levels
- Limited earning opportunities
- Hard to qualify and low pay for partner surveys
Summary – Pros and Cons
- Varied Earning Opportunities: Tellwut stands out by providing users with an array of earning opportunities. Beyond conventional surveys, participants can engage in polls and other forms of market research, offering a range of activities to suit individual preferences. This variety ensures that users can find activities that align with their interests, increasing the overall engagement and enjoyment of the platform.
- Several Gift Card Options: One of the notable advantages of Tellwut is the abundance of gift card choices available as rewards. By partnering with numerous popular retailers, Tellwut provides users with a diverse selection of gift cards to choose from. This extensive range increases the likelihood of finding a reward that resonates with each individual’s preferences, enhancing the appeal of the platform.
- Cash Payments: In addition to gift cards, Tellwut offers the option of cash payments, catering to users who prefer monetary rewards. The flexibility of receiving cash allows participants to allocate their earnings as they see fit, whether it be for personal expenses or savings. This feature grants users greater control over their rewards and can be particularly enticing for those seeking financial flexibility.
- Insights Association Member: Tellwut’s affiliation with the Insights Association serves as a testament to the platform’s commitment to ethical research practices and industry standards. Being a member of this reputable association bolsters Tellwut’s credibility and demonstrates its adherence to rigorous guidelines, ensuring that users can trust the legitimacy and integrity of the surveys and activities they engage in.
- Low Compensation: One notable drawback of Tellwut is its low compensation compared to other survey platforms. While users can accumulate points through participation, the actual value of these points doesn’t match the time and effort invested.
- Repetitive Profiling Questions: Another concern with Tellwut is the repetitive nature of profiling questions. These questions aim to gather demographic and behavioural data about users, which helps match them with appropriate surveys. However, users may find themselves repeatedly answering similar questions, which can be monotonous and time-consuming. This redundancy can lead to a diminished user experience and potentially discourage continued participation.
Overall, Tellwut is a legitimate survey site that offers a variety of ways to earn money. However, the compensation is low and it can be hard to qualify. It is important to set realistic expectations about how much money you can earn.
This is how we review gigs
Disclosure: While HuginX is editorially independent, we may earn commissions on sign-up links.
- Varied earning opportunities
- Several gift card options
- Cash payments
- Insights Association member
- Fast payment process
- Low compensation
- Repetitive profiling questions