Savvy Connect Review
Savvy Connect is a so-called “metering app”, meaning a web browser add-on or mobile app tracking your online data, such as which websites you’re visiting. The software is connected with third-party market research companies that collect information about your web activity and search behaviour. This allows them to understand your online behaviour better through market research analysis. In this review, we’ll take a closer look at the pros and cons of signing up for this data-sharing app.
How to get started
To get started, sign up for the site SurveySavvy and proceed to download the SavvyConnect mobile app. In return for your (passive) participation, SavvyConnect will pay you incentives that accumulate over time. Once you’ve reached a certain amount, you can redeem these incentives for real money. You can use the SavvyConnect app for MacOS and Windows or download the mobile app version (Android, iOS) to earn cash.
Resource heavy apps
This program requires a small amount of background computing time to gather data. The Better Business Bureau has mixed reviews on SavvyConnect, mentioning the potential to slow down your device and drain the battery. It can also reduce the speed of your browser, but this depends on the type of device you use.
What is a metering app?
Market research companies use metering apps to track and measure the internet usage of participants who agreed to participate in their research. The app is typically installed on the participant’s device and runs in the background, monitoring and collecting data on the websites and apps used and how much time is spent on each. The data is then sent back to the market research company (in this case Luth Research), where it is analyzed to understand patterns of online behaviour, as well as to gather information on which websites and apps are most popular among the panel members. This information can be used by businesses and marketers to make decisions about how best to target their products and services to specific audiences.
What can I earn on Savvyconnect?
Incentives can range from $5 a month per device up to 3 devices per household. Effectively you can make a maximum of $15 per month by installing the data tracking software. Additionally, through the SurveySavvy site, you’ll have access to survey opportunities that pay between $1 and $3.
What about my data privacy?
It’s important to consider whether you’re comfortable sharing your online behaviour or not. While some people might be happy to share their web browsing history, others will consider it invasive. Here is a list of potential data points tracked by the SurveySavvy app:
- Websites visited: Which websites are visited and how much time is spent on each
- Apps used: Which apps are used on the device and how much time is spent using each
- Data usage: How much data the device uses, which can be useful for understanding online behaviour patterns.
- Location data: Collect location data, which can be used to understand where the device is being used.
- Device information: Collect information about the device, such as the make and model, operating system, and software version.
The way it works is that the app will track your online behaviour, such as the websites you’re visiting and how much time you spend on each site. The data will then be shared with the parent company Luth Research. Luth will then monetize this data by selling it to their clients. As such, it’s important to remember that your data can be shared across a wide range of companies. However, this will not include personal information such as your email address and telephone number. Also, the data needs to be used for market research purposes only.
Featured Passive Data Sharing Apps
- Surveys match well
- Short surveys
- A broad selection of topics
- Sporadic survey invitations
MSR App Data Tasks
- Well functioning app
- Intuitive user interface
- Not quite living up to its ambitious marketing messages
- Decent Pay
- Does not drain the battery or impact your device
- Completely passive
- No PayPal cash
- Privacy concerns around data sharing
inCompass / MediaCell+
- Passive income once the apps are installed
- Good compensation compared to taking surveys
- You'll be sharing a massive amount of data about your online behaviour
- Some technical glitches in terms of VPN and Apps slowing down your devices
- The reward level of £10 per month has been the same for more than 5 years.
- No cash option
- Frequent survey opportunities
- More rewards than "just" surveys are available
- A legit company with a long history in the survey industry
- Low payout threshold
- Several payout options
- Both mobile app and browser support
- Lots of screenout questions
- Low incentives
- Below-average survey experience
Curious Cat App
- Low payout threshold
- Cash payments
- Varied earning opportunities
- Mobile app
- Fast payment process
- Lots of personal data tracked and shared
- No website version (app only)
- Quick to block accounts
- Technical glitches
- Run by an established market research company
- Passive income (max $15 per month)
- Additional earning opportunities such as surveys
- Feels invasive (for some)
- Can slow down your device
- Lack of info on the front page
- US only