Opinium Research Panel is an online survey site based in the United Kingdom founded in 2007. Members of the Panel are invited to share their thoughts and experiences on topics ranging from politics, pet food, vacation destinations, pensions, new technology, and social trends.
Daniel Williams – Our Editor in Chief: Dan is from Oxford, UK and is one of our reviewers who’s been with HuginX the longest. With a background in membership support at one of the largest survey companies, Dan has a lot of inside knowledge of the Market Research industry and has helped us refine our reviewing criteria. When Daniel is not working with reviews, he likes to go hiking with his dog Charlie.
Is Opinium a legit survey site?
Opinium Panel is a reliable survey website. Each month, panel members are invited to four or more surveys. In order to accurately represent the views of the UK population, each survey invites a random subset of the panel, which means that panel members will not be invited to all surveys. If you are not invited to one study, your chances of being invited to the next one increase proportionally. This is done to ensure that all panel members have equal opportunities to participate in the surveys.
Data Privacy: Any reason for concern?
Your Opinium Panel profile information is never sold or given to a third party. The Opinium Research Panel is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office in the United Kingdom (ICO). The Data Protection Act of 1998 governs it. All information is kept strictly confidential, and your privacy is protected. Without your express permission, your name will never be sold, exchanged, or distributed to another party.
How to get started
To become an Opinium Panellist, go to the website’s “Take Surveys” section and click the “Register Now” button. You must fill out a brief survey about yourself and agree to the Terms & Conditions. Anyone over the age of 18 who is a UK resident can join the Opinium Panel. If you are chosen to participate in a survey, you will receive a survey invitation via the email address you registered with. The invitation will include information about the reward you will receive for participating, a rough estimate of how long the survey will take to complete, and when the survey will close.
What about the survey experience?
They have a mobile app that you can download to your mobile device to answer surveys when you are not in front of a computer. Opinium Research Panel’s homepage is simple to use. The “My Surveys” tab informs you whether any current surveys are available. You will be notified via email if there are any available surveys. Opinium surveys are typically 10 to 20 questions long and take on average between 5 and 15 minutes to complete.
How much can I make on Opinium?
The reward for each survey is always included in the survey invitation, and is usually 50p per survey, though the incentive increase for taking part in longer surveys. This money will be deposited into your Opinium account within 24 hours of completing the survey. When you reach £25 in earnings, you’ll be sent a short payment survey asking how you want to receive your money. Payments can be made via bank transfer, Amazon voucher, or charitable donation. Payments can take between 15-20 days to arrive, depending on the method you choose. You can also get paid to refer a friend.
Top Rated Panels
- Transparent payment system
- Low redemption level
- High incentives compared to regular consumer survey sites
- Good selection of payment options
- Interesting survey opportunities
- High qualification rate
- Simple user interface
- Surveys are not always mobile-friendly
- Complex questions which can take a lot of concentration and time to fill out
- Consistent survey quality
- Good survey experience
- Rewards are in line with survey length and efforts
- Surveys on topics that you are familiar with
- Low redemption level
- Not a big earning possibility (usually less than $10 per month)
- Limited reward options
- Expiration of unused credit after 1 year
- Free to join
- Earn referral commissions
- Fair incentive level
- Good survey experience
- Professional MR company
- There is no signup bonus
- The minimum payout threshold is high
- PayPal and bank redemptions can take up to 30 working days to process
- Owned by one of the largest market research companies
- Above average payout per survey
- A low threshold to redeem rewards
- Easy to qualify for surveys
- Low volume of survey opportunities
- Technical glitches using the Pinecone Research app
- It is a free platform
- No payout threshold
- Gives loyalty credit if you do not qualify for a survey
- Complete confidentiality in your responses
- Above average incentive levels
- Limited earning opportunities
What can prevent me from getting paid?
The biggest risk of not getting paid by Opinium is that you’ll give up before reaching the high payment threshold of £25. By our estimations, you’ll need to be prepared to complete between 25 and 50 surveys before being able to redeem…
Like most survey sites, Opinium has checks in place to ensure that respondents are attentive and honest when taking surveys. Answers that fail these checks can result in survey submissions being rejected. Only one account is allowed per person and attempts to earn more money by creating multiple accounts will be seen as fraud attempts. If a survey site detects duplicate entries in a survey the associated accounts will typically get closed and you’ll lose all rewards you have accumulated.
This is how we review gigs
Disclosure: While HuginX is editorially independent, we may earn commissions on sign-up links.
- Many short and easy surveys
- Run by a legit market research agency
- Low incentives
- Very difficult to reach the payment threshold