Looking to earn rewards online? In this review, we take a critical journalistic approach to assess the reward site, MyPoints. We’ll examine its earning opportunities, payment options, user experience, and more. Stay tuned to find out if MyPoints is worth your time and effort.
Andrew: Andrew is one of our reviewers who’s been with HuginX the longest. With a background in membership support at one of the largest survey companies, Andrew has a lot of inside knowledge of the Market Research industry and has helped us refine our reviewing criteria. When Andrew is not working with reviews, he likes to go hiking with his dog Charlie.
MyPoints is a reward site owned by Prodege, a company based in El Segundo, United States. With approximately 11 million visitors per month, MyPoints has gained popularity in countries including the USA, UK, Canada, India, and the Philippines. The site offers users the opportunity to earn rewards by participating in various activities, such as taking surveys, shopping online, playing games, watching videos, and printing coupons. Similar sites in the online reward space include Swagbucks, InboxDollars, and PrizeRebel.
Is MyPoints a legit survey site?
MyPoints can be considered a legitimate platform as it does not engage in scamming practices and does not request sensitive financial information like credit card numbers. Users can participate in various activities, earn points, and redeem rewards without fear of being deceived. The fact that the platform has a positive reputation and has been operating for an extended period further solidifies its legitimacy.
However, it is crucial to be aware of the negative aspects highlighted in our review, such as the need to spend money to earn cashback, low compensation rates, a complex point system, and an abundance of third-party surveys. While MyPoints is a legitimate site, potential users should exercise caution and consider these drawbacks before fully committing.
What’s the concept?
Earning Points through Surveys: MyPoints operates on the premise that users can earn points by engaging in surveys and other paid opportunities. By providing their opinions and insights on various subjects, users contribute to market research data collection while accumulating points that can be redeemed for rewards. Surveys serve as the primary means for users to earn these points.
Prodege’s Business Model: Prodege, the owner of MyPoints, employs a business model centred around collecting and selling market research data. Through user participation in surveys, Prodege gathers valuable consumer insights, preferences, and opinions. This data is then anonymized and aggregated to provide clients with valuable market intelligence, enabling them to make informed business decisions and refine their marketing strategies.
- Tech Enthusiasts: User preferences and purchasing habits related to the latest technology gadgets, software applications, and online services. This data can help technology companies understand their target audience and refine their product offerings accordingly.
- Health and Wellness: Opinions and behaviours related to fitness trends, dietary preferences, and holistic well-being. This data can assist health and wellness brands in tailoring their products, services, and messaging to meet the needs and desires of this target group.
Data Privacy: Any reason for concern?
MyPoints does not share your personal information with its advertisers without your express consent. There are times when your personal data is gathered to be sent to trusted third-party data processors to analyze data for record purposes only. However, all third-party processors are prohibited from using the data for any other means except what they provide to MyPoints. All your personally identifiable information is kept confidential.
Of particular concern is the sharing of both profile information and survey answers with third-party companies. Once your data is shared, you have limited control over how it is utilized or whom it is shared with. This lack of control can be unsettling, especially when it comes to personal and sensitive information.
Top Rated Panels
- Transparent payment system
- Low redemption level
- High incentives compared to regular consumer survey sites
- Good selection of payment options
- Interesting survey opportunities
- High qualification rate
- Simple user interface
- Surveys are not always mobile-friendly
- Complex questions which can take a lot of concentration and time to fill out
- High quality survey experience
- Interesting surveys on trending topics
- You always qualify for surveys (once signed up)
- Well paid survey opportunities
- Tablet and free internet service offered to households without internet access
- Not possible to sign up without a special invitation
- Not too many survey opportunities (2-5 per month)
- Free to join
- Earn referral commissions
- Fair incentive level
- Good survey experience
- Professional MR company
- There is no signup bonus
- The minimum payout threshold is high
- PayPal and bank redemptions can take up to 30 working days to process
- Owned by one of the largest market research companies
- Above average payout per survey
- A low threshold to redeem rewards
- Easy to qualify for surveys
- Low volume of survey opportunities
- Technical glitches using the Pinecone Research app
- No payout threshold
- Gives loyalty credit if you do not qualify for a survey
- Above-average incentive levels
- Limited earning opportunities
- Hard to qualify and low pay for partner surveys
How much can you make on MyPoints?
Signing up for a reward site like MyPoints can be an enticing prospect, offering the potential to earn rewards and compensation for completing various activities. In this friendly yet critical journalistic commentary, we assess the rewards available, the overall compensation, and the challenges users face when trying to redeem their earnings.
Rewards Offered: MyPoints provides a range of reward options, including gift cards, PayPal payments, Amazon vouchers, and debit cards. This variety caters to users with different preferences, allowing them to choose rewards that suit their needs and interests.
Overall Compensation: Based on our experience, the average reward per survey on MyPoints is approximately $0.3. While this seems enticing at first glance, it is essential to consider the effort required to accumulate a substantial amount. Users can only redeem their rewards once they reach a minimum threshold of $10, which means they must complete a significant number of surveys before accessing their earnings.
Join Bonus and Value per Point: MyPoints offers a join bonus to incentivize new users. However, the specific value of this bonus was not provided in the information provided. Additionally, it is worth noting that the value per point on MyPoints is $0.006. This conversion rate determines the monetary worth of users’ accumulated points.
Withdrawal Challenges: To put the compensation into perspective, it’s important to consider the number of surveys a user must complete before being able to withdraw their rewards. With an average reward of $0.3 per survey and a minimum withdrawal threshold of $10, a user would need to complete approximately 33 surveys, on average, before reaching the cashout requirement. This can be a time-consuming process, and users should be prepared for the commitment required to access their earnings.
Is there a welcome bonus on MyPoints?
Currently, MyPoints offers a $10 welcome bonus. Keep in mind the small print which says you need to spend a minimum of $20 on MyPoints merchants within the first 30 days in order to qualify for the bonus.
Brutally honest summary – Pros and Cons
In the vast sea of online reward sites, MyPoints aims to capture users’ attention with its promises of varied earning opportunities, convenient payment options, and a user-friendly interface. However, beneath the surface lies a complex point system, limited compensation, and an abundance of third-party surveys.
- Varied Earning Opportunities: One of the strengths of MyPoints is its diverse range of earning options. Users can earn points by earning cashback from shopping online, taking surveys, playing games, watching videos, and even scanning receipts. This variety caters to users with different interests and allows them to choose activities that align with their preferences.
- PayPal Payments: MyPoints offers the convenience of PayPal payments, allowing users to receive their rewards in cash. This flexibility is a significant advantage as it enables users to use their earnings in any way they desire, without being limited to specific stores or gift cards.
- Several Gift Card Options: For those who prefer gift cards, MyPoints provides a wide selection from popular retailers, restaurants, and online platforms. This versatility gives users the opportunity to redeem their points for rewards that suit their personal preferences, making the experience more enjoyable and personalized.
- Easy Sign-Up Process: Signing up for MyPoints is a straightforward process. Users can create an account quickly and start earning points almost immediately. The user-friendly interface ensures that newcomers can navigate the site with ease, making it accessible to a wide range of individuals.
- Must Spend to Get Cashback: One major drawback of MyPoints is that users have to spend money to earn cashback rewards, which is the main paid feature of the site. While this can be beneficial for avid online shoppers, it may deter those who are looking for passive earning opportunities or who prefer not to spend money to make money.
- Low Compensation: Despite the promise of rewards, the compensation offered by MyPoints is relatively low compared to other similar platforms. The time and effort required to accumulate a substantial number of points can be discouraging, especially for those seeking a more lucrative return on their investment.
- Hard-to-Understand Point System: The point system employed by MyPoints can be confusing and difficult to comprehend for new users. The conversion rates between points and actual currency are not always transparent, which can lead to frustration and a lack of clarity about the true value of one’s earnings.
- Many Third-Party Surveys: While surveys are a common way to earn points on reward sites, MyPoints relies heavily on third-party surveys. This means that users will encounter a high number of surveys that require them to share personal information with external companies. This raises privacy concerns and increases the likelihood of being bombarded with unwanted marketing emails.
This is how we review gigs
Disclosure: While HuginX is editorially independent, we may earn commissions on sign-up links.
- Varied earning opportunities
- PayPal payments
- Several gift card options
- Easy to sign up
- High payout threshold
- Low compensation
- Hard to understand point system
- Many 3rd party surveys