In this review, we take a critical approach to evaluate the experience of joining the Australian survey site MyOpinions. We present factual information without embellishment, highlighting the pros and cons of becoming a member. Stay tuned for an honest assessment of what this platform has to offer.
Andrew: Andrew is one of our reviewers who’s been with HuginX the longest. With a background in membership support at one of the largest survey companies, Andrew has a lot of inside knowledge of the Market Research industry and has helped us refine our reviewing criteria. When Andrew is not working with reviews, he likes to go hiking with his dog Charlie.
Is MyOpinions a legit survey site?
MyOpinions is part of a well-established and legitimate market research company. It collaborates with reputable brands and organizations, ensuring that the surveys offered are genuine and contribute to valuable insights. This factor alone sets it apart from numerous scam sites that flood the internet. Additionally, users’ personal financial information is not at risk since MyOpinions does not request credit card numbers or other sensitive data.
Even if MyOpinions can be considered legit, it is equally important to address potential negative aspects. The high payout threshold may discourage individuals looking for quick earnings or smaller increments. Account suspensions without clear justification can lead to frustration and mistrust among users. The requirement of providing identification and address proof might be perceived as intrusive and time-consuming. Furthermore, the lack of engaging surveys can diminish the overall experience and result in survey fatigue.
What’s the concept?
MyOpinions is an online market research panel founded in 2007 with headquarters in New South Wales, Australia. Survey Sampling International (later rebranded Dynata) acquired MyOpinions in May 2015. MyOpinions is a survey site designed to be used by businesses and organizations looking for market research data providers to help them make critical business decisions about their products and services.
The business model employed by Dynata, the owner of MyOpinions, revolves around selling this market research data to its clients. Companies, organizations, and brands are eager to gain insights into consumer behaviour, preferences, and opinions to inform their strategies and decision-making processes. By providing accurate and relevant data, Dynata enables these entities to understand their target markets better and tailor their offerings accordingly.
Now, let’s consider two random examples of target groups and subjects for consumer surveys that are typical on MyOpinions:
- Millennial Shoppers and Online Retail: As the retail landscape continues to shift towards e-commerce, companies are keen to understand the preferences and behaviours of millennial shoppers. A consumer survey targeting this demographic may explore topics such as online shopping habits, preferred platforms, factors influencing purchase decisions, and satisfaction levels with online retailers. Insights gained from such surveys help companies adapt their marketing strategies to effectively reach and engage millennial consumers.
- Health and Wellness Enthusiasts and Dietary Preferences: With an increasing focus on health and wellness, consumer surveys may target individuals who are enthusiastic about maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Such surveys could delve into subjects like dietary preferences, preferred food choices, reasons behind specific dietary restrictions (e.g., vegetarian, vegan), and attitudes towards organic or sustainable products. The data collected enables companies to tailor their products and marketing messages to meet the needs and desires of health-conscious consumers.
Data Privacy: Any reason for concern?
Privacy policies, often long and filled with legal jargon, can be overwhelming and discouraging for users to read. Nevertheless, it is vital to be aware of how your information is shared on platforms like MyOpinions. During our review, we discovered that both your profile information and survey answers may be shared with third-party companies without much control once your data has been shared.
Despite the common tendency to skip reading privacy policies, it remains important to consider this aspect when engaging with survey sites like MyOpinions. Understanding how your data is handled and shared with third-party companies is essential for safeguarding your privacy. While privacy policies can be lengthy and complex, it is crucial for platforms to find ways to make this information more accessible and comprehensible to their users. By doing so, they can foster a sense of transparency and trust in their handling of personal data.
How to get started
MyOpinions is available on your desktop, mobile, or tablet. Registration is free and takes just a few minutes. Sign up for an account by filling out your name, gender, date of birth, email address, phone number, phone type, and zip code. Then, confirm your email address, and submit. You must be 18 years old and a resident of Australia. In cases where they sometimes survey minors, they may participate only with their parent’s consent.
What about the survey experience?
Surveys generally take 10 to 40 minutes to finish. The site will pay you in points for each survey you can complete. The longer the survey, the greater chance of earning more points. It is important that you complete your profile, as it is what the site will use when they send you survey invites. You will be sent survey invitations based on your profile. When you get an invite, you must pass a screening process first. The screening will determine whether you are qualified to participate or not.
How much can you make on MyOpinions?
When it comes to rewards, MyOpinions offers users the choice of gift cards or PayPal as their payout method. On the surface, this seems promising, providing flexibility in how users can redeem their earnings. However, the specifics of the compensation structure and overall value per survey paint a different picture.
Based on our experience, the average reward per survey on MyOpinions is approximately $0.45. While this may vary, it highlights that each individual survey does not yield a significant payout. Users must accumulate a minimum of $20 before they can request a withdrawal, which means survey takers need to complete around 44 surveys on average before they can access their rewards. This high number of surveys required before reaching the threshold can be discouraging for users seeking timely compensation.
Additionally, it is worth mentioning that MyOpinions offers a join bonus to new users. However, the value of this bonus is not specified, leaving potential members uncertain about its worth. This lack of transparency regarding the join bonus can create a sense of ambiguity and mistrust.
Furthermore, it is essential to consider the value per point on MyOpinions, which stands at 0.01. This means that users would need to accumulate 2,000 points before they can redeem the minimum payout. When taking into account the average reward per survey, the time and effort required to reach the payout threshold become more apparent.
Summary: Pros and Cons
- Legitimate Market Research Company: MyOpinions is part of Dynata, which is one of the largest and most professional providers of market research data. They work with reputable brands and organizations, ensuring that the surveys you take are genuine and contribute to valuable insights.
- High-Quality Surveys: MyOpinions prides itself on offering high-quality surveys that are tailored to specific demographics. This means you are more likely to receive surveys that match your interests and experiences, leading to a more meaningful and relevant experience.
- Frequent Survey Invitations: Another positive aspect of MyOpinions is the frequency of survey invitations. Users often receive regular emails notifying them of available surveys, allowing for a consistent stream of opportunities to earn rewards. This is one of the benefits of signing up for a larger company.
- High Payout Threshold: One of the downsides of MyOpinions is the high payout threshold. Users are required to accumulate a significant amount of rewards before they can request a payout. This can be frustrating, especially for individuals who are looking to earn money quickly or in smaller increments.
- Quick to Block Accounts: Some users have reported that MyOpinions is quick to block or suspend accounts without clear justification. This can be disheartening, especially if you have invested time and effort into completing surveys. The lack of transparency regarding account suspensions is a cause for concern.
- ID and Address Proof Often Required: MyOpinions often requires users to provide identification and address proof before they can cash out their rewards. While this measure is intended to prevent fraud, it can be perceived as invasive and time-consuming for users who are simply looking to earn some extra money.
- Not Very Engaging: One common complaint about MyOpinions is that the surveys can be dull and lack engagement. This can lead to survey fatigue, where users lose interest or become disengaged during the survey-taking process.
This is how we review gigs
Disclosure: While HuginX is editorially independent, we may earn commissions on sign-up links.
- Legit market research company
- High quality surveys
- Frequent survey invitations
- High payout threshold
- Quick to block accounts
- ID and address proof often required before cashing out
- Not very engaging